Friday, November 27, 2009

Finally! , it was clear back on Oct. 13th that I shared our secret.
This letter arrived on Wednesday, now talk about something to be thankful
for!
After waiting for 7 days for the holding company to wire transfer the funds to
the IRA company, then filling out all the necessary paperwork and faxing it
back to them and then waiting, waiting.... until we grew impatient after
two weeks and no word, Mike called. It seemed they had questions about
something on the faxed paperwork, and yet Mike told the lady that we faxed
a cover page with his cell# in case there were any questions. She explained
that the fax comes into one dept. then was sent to her dept and the cover
sheet was not forwarded*sigh* Mike answered her question and she said
it was off to the Distribution Dept. We wait yet another week, all the while
checking with our bank to see if the funds had been transferred. Mike calls
again asking to speak to the manager of the Distribution Dept., he is
then connected to a man, who looks up our information and then relays, it
takes 5-7 day once they receive the info for the wire transfer to be made.
Mike explains that it has been that long, the man says well your transfer
should be made tonight or tomorrow, now this call took place on a Tues.
So..... to make this short, it didn't happen for yet another week.

The first day Mike had available to make the trip into the city was Tues, Nov.
17th. After going to our bank and getting a cashier's check for the pay off
amount, we then head directly for the bank. Upon arriving, we of course are
excited, we ask where we need to go to pay off our mortgage. The
receptionist says, "Just go over to the teller window, they'll take care of it for
you." Not what we expected, thinking this is a fairly major transaction, we
thought we'd go to someone's office or something. Now at the teller window,
we explain what we're doing and the teller then calls a manager over, who
then takes us to his cubicle. He needs to verify the pay off amount and get a
certification #. Now back to the teller window, she makes the transaction,
using the cert. # and we're handed a slip, like a deposit or withdrawal slip,
showing the transaction amount toward loan #____________. The teller
did say Congratulations, but....... where was the confetti and balloons,LOL!
What is a major amount of $$ to us, I'm sure is just a drop in the bucket to a
bank such as Wells Fargo Bank.
Now with a hard copy( see picture below), showing our pay off is complete,
we absolutely feel relieved.



We've blocked out specific information, for obvious reasons. Now how about a
BBQ?

We're still stuffed from yesterdays meal. I asked Mike what he wanted for breakfast

this morning and he said,"Nothing I'm still full from our Thanksgiving meal." We

all made a point not to over eat, but we still did to some degree. The pumpkin pie

was the "straw that broke my stomach", but who can turn down homemade pumpkin

pie with whipped cream topping? We had a relaxed day, filled with our daily animal

chores, reading a book and even watching a football game( Dallas of course*wink*)

Mike has been a Cowboy's fan, well since I've known him, and Cortney joined in

the ranks a few years back. I'm not much of a T.V. person so..... I instead read my

book.

Well.... Cortney and I are on cleaning and re-arranging detail today and we also need

to move the mama turkey and her babies to the turkey pen and then sort out some

of the chickens and move to the smaller coop. Our main coop is overfull and we

separate them into two flocks, making room for everyone.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


10 comments:

Judy T said...

Woo Hoo!!! Congrats!! I'll give you confetti and balloons. Yeah, when we paid off our last house, it was a bit of a letdown- very little acknowledgement for what we considered a major achievement. Of course, owning our old house outright put us in very good standing to purchase our acreage this year.
Have a great weekend.
Judy

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks Judy, we didn't really expect much to-do from the bank, and most people have never stopped to consider owning a home outright. When we went to get our homeowners insurance straightened around( from the escrow to mailing it to us)our agent looked confused and then said, "I won't be out of debt until I'm in my 80's." Sadly, he was serious*shaking my head*


I'm glad we can live a simple life, not having debt hanging over our heads. The keeping up with the Jones's has ruined many lives.

Congrats on your paying off your home and thus putting you in good shape for your new purchase of land. Sending the confetti and balloons right back at you*wink*

matty said...

What a wonderful post! It gives me hope that I will pay off my farm one day soon! Congratulations!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Congratulations! You should be SO proud of your accomplishment; I'm proud of you.
There's nothing like living FREE!

small farm girl said...

Congrats on paying off your farm. I know you have been planning on it for a while. Now THAT is a feat in itself.

I'm like you, I can't turn down pumpkin pie. Expecially if it has whipped topping. Let me guess, it was home made too. lol

sfg

A Farmstead Pilgrimage... said...

Congratulations on being 'free'!

It is a great burden to be 'free'.

Have a wonderful day!
~Kris

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

SFG,
Yes, it's been in the works since we bought this place, even before that as a matter of fact.
Now how did you know how big my feet are*wink* as I'm sure I never shared that in snail mail with you, LOL!!!! To answer your question, yes the pumpkin pie was from scratch and the only items bought were the spices, and the powdered milk and the flour for the pie crust. The pumpkin puree' was from last years pumpkins, frozen, the lard for the crust was from our pigs last winter, the eggs was from here and well..... I did have to buy cream for whipping. Nothing like homemade anything! Hope your Thanksgiving was good, TTYL. :o)

Matty,
Thank you and I pray you pay off your farm soon too! It's such a free feeling not to have that payment hanging over our heads. Praying you pay yours off, as quickly as you can. Thanks for stopping in.

TCF,
We are proud and humbled at the same time. All of this was of the Lord's direction, including buying this homestead. Thank you for understanding just how good it feels, like I said earlier, people in todays world just don't seem to grasp what it is to live "free". They are all to caught up in buying things they can not afford, just to keep up with the world. With all the economic turmoil heading straight at us, like an out of control train, it's such a blessing to know we only have to worry about coming up with taxes and insurance, plus utility bills and monies for animal feed. We always tried to live within, if not below, our means so tough times will be a bit easier for us than most. I know you can relate to this.


Thank you everyone for all your congrats, we are walking on air and let me tell you it feels wonderful!

Lynn Bartlett said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you! When we lived in the city there were 3 families with the conviction of getting out of debt by paying off our mortgages; we finally eventually did it within 6 months of each other, and then all went out to supper to celebrate. Being debt free enabled us to sell that house and buy our land up here. It was such a blessing, and I'm sure you feel the same way!

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

I wanted to thank you so much for your comment on my blog. I look forward to exploring your site more. I'm sure you have a lot that I could learn from!

Your homesteading friend,
Kendra

Sincerely, Emily said...

Balloons and Confetti from me!!!!! Congratulations. that is a big deal. Emily

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...