Thursday, April 14, 2011

As per several Follower's request*wink* Yogurt recipe

Plain yogurt
2qts. goats milk
2 tsp. plain cultured yogurt
1c. powdered milk
clean and sterlized wide mouth canning jars.( pint or qt.)

Warm milk to 115F Stir in powdered milk( if desired, it's supposed  help thicken it) Add 2 tsp. yogurt, mix well and pour into jars. Place filled jars into a roaster or kettle, fill with hot tap water up to the neck of the jars, cover and let it work. If the yogurt isn't setting up, change out the water and add more hot tap water until thickness you desire.( I did not do this, instead I  poured the yogurt into a casserole dish, with lid and wrapped it in a thick towel. After about an hour it was still to thin, so placed the oven on 200F when warm turned it off and placed the towel and dish in the oven ( remember to turn your oven OFF first)  This yogurt is milder than cows milk yogurt( less of a bite, if you know what I mean) and REALLY creamy, Yummm, Yummmm  Fruit smoothies on tap for dessert tonight! :o)

I hope everyone give this a try, whether with goat milk or cows milk( not sure if you can use store bought to do this or not!  Such a great and healthy treat and handy to have around in case of animal stool issues or upset rumens.

11 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Cool! Thanks for the recipe and directions. :))

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Thanks Kelle, I've been keeping an eye out for this recipe :o) I printed it out so as to work with it at the right time..Now to find someone with Goats milk! Hope that's easier than me getting some chickens :o)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I have made my own yogurt, but since there is pretty much just the two of us, I have just been buying the Stoneyfield plain. What finally worked for me was letting it set up in my dehydrator!

Jane said...

This certainly sounds good! Now to find some goats milk. Blessings jane

Zombie said...

Mmmmmm! Sounds good!

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said...

Just made a batch of goat milk yogurt this week! I add powdered milk to mine too... Just to help it thicken. But it's still yummy :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Thank you this sounds easy I just bought some at the store. B

small farm girl said...

Thanks Kelle, I am soooo going to try this!

Izzy said...

How long does the homemade yogurt last? I know you probably eat it before it goes bad, but any idea?

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Thanks everyone and I hope you make some and enjoy it as much as we do.

Jill,
Yes, it does help thicken it and makes no difference in the taste( that we can detect anyway). If you like it runnier, then opt not to use the dry milk and drink it rather than eat it :o)

Izzy,
We've had yogurt last up to 1-1/2 weeks that's the longest it's stuck around. Typically we use it up in 3-4 days.

Cindy said...

I make yogurt with store-bought milk all the time. It works well. I add powdered milk to help with thickening.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...