Monday, March 5, 2012

We're still alive, in case you were worried! Update w/ pictures


It seems as if life keeps speeding up, rather than slowing down for our family. Since Christmas we've been enjoying spending time with our granddaughter, Jayla and our son, Jon whom we were out of touch with for over a year, so we have lots of last time to make up for. :o)

 This is our granddaughter, Jayla, she'll be two this month and is she ever precious to all of us!
                                  Grandpa, Grandma(me) and Jayla being shy for her pictures.
 Mike's Mom was married on New Years Eve to Leroy, who had been a part of our lives since Jon and Cortney were babies themselves. Leroy was diagnosed with lung cancer in July and  passed away the 26th of Jan. We miss him everyday, he was indeed a very special man to all of us!
                                  Our son, Jon and Jayla
                          Jon, Jayla, Great Grandma and me at Great Grandma's birthday party.
                                     We did a mini remodel in our kitchen, the refrigerator used to sit where the ladder is in this photo, but with the wood cook stove so close the frig ran all the time and with electric prices on the rise we needed to do something. So... where you see the frig. now used to be where my china hutch used to be and now the china hutch is where the frig used to be. Of course none of our projects go off without a hitch, and our hitch was.... the cabinet above the frig needed to be removed, but the installer used glue to place the trim along the ceiling, so when we removed it guess what it tore the sheet rock on the ceiling! Now we've patched this with mud and will have to sand prime that area and repaint the entire ceiling but it will have to wait until we're no longer using the wood cook stove, so we can tape everything off with plastic*sigh*
 While we were moving stuff I decided to paint two walls a sage green to give the kitchen some color. It turned out very nice and we all love the added color.

 Behind the stove is the second wall to be painted and then we finished off baseboard trim, ceiling trim and add a mantle to the brick behind the stove with a shelf that goes through to the living room side in the cubby hole behind the stove( see below). With it all finally finished we're moving onto finishing the mud/laundry room now.
                                            The cubby hole and mantle all finished


We'd been anxiously awaiting our does the kid, checking on them every couple of hours. On Feb 28th I'd checked the does at approx. 3:45pm and they both were in their barn because it was snowing cats and dogs and Ginger especially hated snow and rain. Both were fine, no sign of labor and distress. At 5:00pm we went out to do evening chores, as I open the gate I saw Ginger lying on the ground outside, I knew something was wrong, because she wouldn't have been out in the snow for anything, not even feed. I quickly approached her and realized she was dead, still warm to the touch, I tried to see if there was anything in the birth canal, but there was nothing. So sadly we lost Ginger and her baby(ies)  Now worried about how Angel was going to react to being alone I was up checking her every hour or so. On the morning of Feb 29th she was sad but no sign of labor, so we headed out for Cortney's cleaning job at 10:30am. When we arrived home Cortney went to let the dogs out while I checked on Angel when I looked in the barn, guess what I saw?????( see below)
                        Leap Year kids!!!!This little doeling all wet and trying to make it to her feet
               The white doeling was born first was dry and moving around well already. So we dried them both, cut and dip their cords in iodine and watched them nurse!
 Angel is Cortney's goat, can't you see how happy she is!  She was so worried about Angel kidding and the time she'd be alone, but she wasn't alone long, PTL!*wink* The dark doeling is named, Poppy and Cortney gave her to me because I lost Ginger, what a sweetheart my daughter is Huh?
                         This is Pansy, Cortney's doeling
                                 Angel is so proud, look she's grinning! Angel is such a wonderful mother too!
                               Happy Mama and kids! They doelings and Angel are all doing great, romping and jumping. Our weather has been so nice, 60F yesterday, so the kids romped, bucked, jumped and races off and on all day yesterday. Today is nice too, so they'll have fun again. I can't believe how quick they are and how fast they are growing. They are the highlight of our days! I'm still sad over the loss of Ginger and her kid(s) but that is unfortunately part of life, the vet thought since she'd been starved( remember we rescued and adopted them last Summer) that it weakened her heart and she had a heart attack, it had to have been something like that because it was only alittle over an hour since I'd checked she and Angel and both were chewing their cud in the barn.*sigh*
                               If I wasn't a glutton for punishment, I've added in an EMT course that will run til the first of June to my already hectic schedule. I am alittle stressed and this morning woke up with a head cold to top it all off!  Thanks for catching up and I hope to find more time to post pictures of the shop progress( trusses will be going up soon and then the metal roofing) the garden and our animals. Peace be with you all and know I think of you and the blog all the time, it's just finding the time and energy to make it here to post*wink*  Let me know what's been going on in your lives too, we love the interaction with each of you!
Many Blessing to each of you this week and in the coming weeks.
                   

8 comments:

Alla said...

Nice to hear from you again! Seems like lots going on.I'm sure it's nice spending time with your son and granddaughter. Have a wonderful week.

HossBoss said...

Glad to hear from you, Kelle. Sorry you lost Ginger and her kids, but yes, what a sweet gesture from your daughter to give you her new doeling. So glad you have Jon back in your lives and sweet little Jayla to boot!

The kitchen looks great! All my renovation projects tend to have little surprise twists too. It keeps us on our toes, right?

: )

Mel said...

Oh, I want a kid... I mean baby goat, how cute!

I had to laugh when you said Angel was smiling and I looked to see she was even showing her teeth for that smile.

When you are a farmer, the work never seems to be finished (just as the name of your blog states) always something going on.

Winters are most difficult to find spare time to blog, as the animals spend more time inside their stalls on count of bad weather, which makes for more cleaning.

I totally relate to this lifestyle!

Blessings, Mel

Kat said...

Good to hear from you Kelle! Sure have missed reading your updates. Looks like things have been going pretty well with the exception of Ginger. I am so sorry to hear/read of her loss. It is always so tough when that happens. Take care and keep us updated. Blessings, Kat

small farm girl said...

I'm so glad to hear from you! I was just thinking of you guys yesterday! I see that you DO have your hands full. What with baby and kids. lol. I'm glad you got some cute little babies to play with. So sad to hear about your other mother. Just like you said, It sometimes happens on a farm.

Good to hear from you again. Do be a stranger! lol

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Sheesh, Kelle! You have been a busy gal! Good to see you again...
Loved the photos of your granddaughter...precious!

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...

Alla,
Thank you for commenting. We've missed chatting with everyone. Yes, we're thoroughly enjoying our son and granddaughter. Glad to find time to post again, I've missed it.

HossBoss,
Glad to hear from all of you, we've missed talking with likeminded folks. Loosing Ginger was hard, but Cortney blessing me with Poppy made it all better, she's such a sweet and thoughtful daughter, wouldn't trade her for anything. Keep checking back for more pictures and updates, we're going to work hard to stay in touch.

Mel,
So true I always think winter will be my slow time, yet it seems to speed along and it's gone before I know what's happened. It keeps me out of trouble when I'm busy*wink*
That picture of Angel was so cute, she truly is grinning :o) She's such a sweetheart and a wonderful mama.
Thanks for stopping in, we've missed that the very most!

Kat,
I've tried to keep up with everyones blogs but have have lost track on a few, your's is one I try to keep up with no matter what*wink*
Ginger's death was hard but the birth of Angels two doelings was such a blessing it really is a wash. I will miss Ginger and alway wonder what her kid(s) would have looked like, she was a wonderful goat, such a nice milker.
Keep in touch and watch for updates from time to time.

SFG,
I will be around from time to time as time allows. I miss all of you too, it's like family and I'm hoping to pick up where we left off and sure pray everyone keeps following along with us. :o)
EMT training is overwhelming right now but it is getting easier. The kids are a blessing but our granddaughter is such a blessing, she melts my heart!
Thanks for stopping in, come back soon, we'll check in with you too!

Cyn,
Busy is an understatement, but you know I wouldn't change a thing, other than slow it all down some*wink*
Thank you for your compliment, we think Jayla is precious too! Grandkids are such a special blessing, I know you can relate :o)

Thanks for stopping in everyone, come back soon.
Kelle

MarkD60 said...

Welcome back from your bloggerbreak

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...